Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Sign Language in My Classroom

My sister is minoring in American Sign Language at Clemson University and it has inspired me to use some sign language in my classroom.  I didn't like calling on students and then having the answer to my question be another question of, "Can I go to the bathroom?"  Now my class uses American Sign Language signs for restroom and water.  To make the sign for restroom, you make a ASL "t" and shake your hand slightly.  My students know times that they can or cannot ask to use the restroom, but this symbol works great if there is an emergency while I am teaching.

We also use the sign for water.  I have a water fountain in my classroom, but I do not allow students to get up and get water whenever they want.  To make the ASL sign for water, you make the sign for "w" (your pointer, middle, and ring finger to make a W) and then softly tap your chin with your pointer finger.



These signs are great because they do not interrupt my lessons, but I am able to address my students' needs by nodding or shaking my head.

Psalm 63:4

No comments:

Post a Comment